NO CARRIER

Computers, Science, Technology, Xen Virtualization, Hosting, Photography, The Internet, Geekdom And More

My Flickr Stream

Posted on | December 8, 2009 | 6 Comments

For other shutter bugs, I’ve created a flickr stream and have been slowly uploading stuff that I find interesting that I’ve shot over the past few months.

Most of the images were taken with a Nikon D-40, using the standard / stock 18-55 MM lens.

When time permits, I’ll set up a flickr gallery on a separate page here.

Comments

6 Responses to “My Flickr Stream”

1. Corey Henderson
    December 10th, 2009 @ 11:18 pm

My wife has a Nikon D-40 that she only ever shoots in manual mode. We get a lot of great pictures out of it.

2. kalyan
    December 15th, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

Yay. Am looking forward. I’ll start posting some stuff too once i start working next month :)

3. tinkertim
    December 15th, 2009 @ 9:30 pm

@Corey, I usually shoot on manual or program mode. The preset modes on any Nikon camera are next to useless. If you want a point and shoot .. buy a point and shoot :)

Program mode is really cool when you are photographing things that move quickly (i.e. kids), but given enough light and an appropriate shutter speed, program mode also becomes useless, especially when using a fast lens.

The best setting on a D-40 is ‘M’ .. which tends to yield some of the best shots.

Nikon would love for us all to believe that you can shoot indoor sports with the built in flash and 18-55 MM kit lens. Well, you can, but you will trash 90 % of what you took.

4. tinkertim
    December 15th, 2009 @ 9:42 pm

@kalyan, Just got my 35MM F/1.8 .. I am seeking anything moving in low light :) More pics to come. Almost got a 50MM F/1.4, but portraits aren’t my gig. If I can’t get close enough, its not a shot I want to take.

If I’m close enough for a 50MM lens, getting closer should not be an issue. Granted, this puts a cramp in my Bokeh , but not noticeable enough if the subject is interesting and the shot is framed well.

Besides, a diffused bounce of a SB(400 or 600 or 900) at F/1.8 is just as good as what you’d get with a F/1.4 anyway, especially using a piece of cream bonded paper in lieu of that dreaded (and almost useless) $20 plastic diffuser.

Sorry to go on a lens rant, I just realized that you never asked :) I guess I thought you’d find it interesting.

5. kalyan
    December 17th, 2009 @ 1:48 am

Presets are always useless. Program ‘P’ mode with Shutter or aperture priority usually does the job in most scenarios. But then again, one would have to get comfortable with other settings like metering, exposure, etc!

F/1.8 ?? I am salivating to have one! For now i am having to push things with my 18-70 F/3.5 on my A200 Is the 35mm lens a prime ?

And I use 75-300mm, kinda my current fix for getting bokeh on portraits. But again as you said, that won’t let me get close to subjects, so i don’t do it that often as much as i would like to

Don’t really have much idea about strobes. but would love to try them out, but its kinda little far away atm :)

6. tinkertim
    December 17th, 2009 @ 11:09 pm

@kaylan, The 35MM prime ROCKS! I can’t tell you how much more fun shooting in low light becomes with a really fast lens. At $200, its kind of silly not to buy one, I’ve seen them go used for $75.

I get (better) bokeh on portraits than I ever did with my 55-200, plus camera shake becomes less of an issue at that short fixed length. I still carry my 18-55, but I leave the 200mm at home most of the time.

My next two lenses are going to be 10-24 MM super wide, and a 50MM f/1.2. I’m willing to give up AF for a lens that opens that wide :)

Regarding the settings, once you’ve mastered the art of deciphering what your view finder is trying to tell you, setting the shutter becomes pretty intuitive. Not sure about Canon, but most Nikon DSLRs will warn you (even in manual mode) if your subject is too bright or too dark.