NO CARRIER

Computers, Science, Technology, Xen Virtualization, Hosting, Photography, The Internet, Geekdom And More

The .ing domain has landed

Posted on | July 24, 2008 | 9 Comments

If you are a user of OpenNIC, there’s a brand new top level domain available. You can register your own .ing domain completely free now at register.ing.

A while back, I was chatting with Tim Groeneveld who had recently been approved as a domain maintainer / registrar for OpenNIC. He asked me to come up with the coolest top level domain I could think of. After some thought, it hit me, .ing :) “think.ing , programm.ing, design.ing, sleep.ing” and even bej.ing came to mind.

I’m glad to see that the domain is off to a good start. Tim sent me a short script to dig my spell dictionary to list many possible .ing domains, I cleaned it up and sorted it in 4 column output. View the file here if you need inspiration to get your own.

The OpenNIC web site has very easy to follow instructions on how to manage your DNS settings so that you can resolve these extended domains. If you are a *nix / *bsd user you can also use your own name server.

Comments

9 Responses to “The .ing domain has landed”

1. Jonathan
    July 24th, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

Excellent!

I would like to get bl.ing :)

Shw.ing! :)

2. tinkertim
    July 24th, 2008 @ 2:10 pm

I hope that this TLD attracts more people to OpenNIC. For those of us who use blogs / wikis and other stuff for research and collaboration, these domains are a god send.

For now, at least, they’re free from spammers and botnets .. most servers do not resolve OpenNIC domains :)

This guy has even begun a search engine accessible on the OpenNIC .geek domain which searches OpenNIC domains. I’m considering doing something similar.

I’m wondering when Google and others will begin indexing these domains. A little javascript to see if a visitor can resolve opennic.glue is all that it takes to decide if OpenNIC top level domains should show up in the results.

3. Prakhar
    June 3rd, 2010 @ 11:47 pm

its not working anymore, all the TLDs have expired.

4. maximi89
    February 27th, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

It’s working very fine, probably your DNS fail, but working without problems :D

5. Mat
    November 20th, 2011 @ 1:57 am

register.ing doesn’t exist

6. tinkertim
    December 16th, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

It (did), if it doesn’t Tim G probably broke it. I’ll ping him about it today.

7. abe
    March 31st, 2012 @ 3:55 am

Any update on this? I would love to register a .ing domain!

8. dfgfdg
    January 18th, 2013 @ 6:13 am

looks like google has registered it now, to be released later this year?

9. Marko Gucunski
    February 21st, 2013 @ 9:08 am

I would love to register: interest.ing is it possible? Any info appreciated. Marko