Posted on | July 15, 2008 | 2 Comments
Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. What a crazy week this has been and its only Tuesday!
As a present, my wife got me a little hibachi grill that is safe to use on our concrete balcony. She also got me some charcoal and tongs! I began drooling while thinking about grilled burgers and chicken.
Monday, I fired up my present using just a splash of lighter fluid on a ‘rather blustery’ day. Immediately I was overcome by the thickest cloud of smoke that I have ever seen, Bob Marley would have been astonished. I was also quite blind, it took a few minutes for my sight to return once the smoke invaded my eyes.Our balcony is within a ‘groove’ of our building, the wind currents quickly carried the smoke to the levels below. I extinguished the origin of the cloud with a bucket of water after a great deal of clumsy, blind and painful blundering.
People dwelling in lower levels smelled my plight and quickly reported a fire .. resulting in not one but two visits from guards armed with revolvers, extra bullets and fire extinguishers. Fortunately, neither bullets nor extinguishers were expended as a consequence of either visit. What were the guards going to do, shoot the fire then extinguish it? I can only question the wisdom that motivates someone to run into a dwelling that might be burning while they are strapped with live ammunition.
Apparently, something was odd with the Charcoal, it and our dinner plans went up in smoke. Now I get to clean out a grill full of soaked buggy charcoal, lovely.
Today, I was working ‘in the zone’ to get some bugs fixed to make clients happy. My air conditioner started making strange noises as if a bird was caught in the fan. Before I could get to it, I heard that distinctive cyclical hum that could only mean a locked motor rotor, then I saw a beautiful display of sparks. Taking it apart, I found that the magnets in the fan motor had come loose, consequently reduced to filings. No big deal, I had a spare unit and installed it. The motor was just old, no birds were hurt.
I also threw out my back and became so filthy messing with air conditioners that I was forced to shower while hunched in agony. Showering is bad enough, doing so while in pain in a country that does not believe in hot water really sucks.
Anyone waiting on anything from me should take note, I’m taking two hours off to go to the store. I need to buy a goddamn helmet before Wednesday hits, some rubber gloves and some ointment.