NO CARRIER

Computers, Science, Technology, Xen Virtualization, Hosting, Photography, The Internet, Geekdom And More

Ubuntu Hardy/Xen templates nearly done

Posted on | June 1, 2008 | 6 Comments

I’m now putting the finishing touches on some Ubuntu Hardy templates for Xen. I’ll be contributing both 32/64 bit templates to jailtime early next week.

I’ve decided that continuing to make these manually each time Ubuntu releases is a pain, so I’m nearly done scripting the whole thing. I’ll release a package with the build scripts + the source / scripts for debootstrap along with the templates.

I’m leaving comments open on this post, hopefully those who have used my previous templates can comment on what packages they would like to have beyond the strapped Ubuntu-minimal. Typically all that I do is install nano, add the updates/security/backports/universe repositories and install locales + the base (EN) language pack.

Are there any other creature comforts that you think should ship in these templates? Let me know :)

Additionally, I’ll have Xen templates for gNewSense ready next week as well.

Comments

6 Responses to “Ubuntu Hardy/Xen templates nearly done”

1. Matt
    June 4th, 2008 @ 4:18 am

Hi, I need to setup a Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 Server Edition this week. When trying to install on Citrix Xen Server 4.1 everything installs ok, but at first reboot grub fails with “error 2″ Is this something you’ve encountered?

Do you have any pointers?

2. tinkertim
    June 4th, 2008 @ 11:03 am

@Matt

I have been using Xen since the early v2 releases, but never found the need to use the enterprise stuff. Citrix support should be able to resolve this for you, yes?

I can say, I’ve never had a problem booting Hardy using the free version, both as PV and HVM.

3. Matt
    June 4th, 2008 @ 8:54 pm

Thanks for the reply! I’ll try the free version…unfortunately I don’t have a say in the matter when it comes to using enterprise or not in this case… ;)

However, I don’t think it’s a Xen problem per se…more a hardy with scsi (hp proliant 380) problem…

Looking forward to your template!

4. Markus
    June 16th, 2008 @ 9:13 pm

Hi Tim,

any update on the image? i thought you’ll release it this week?

thanks

5. tinkertim
    June 17th, 2008 @ 10:49 am

@Markus

I have had my hands full with things that have to be done on a deadline for my day job. I’m hoping to get at least the 32 bit template up tonight or tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay :)

6. brian
    July 2nd, 2008 @ 12:50 am

Hi -

I stumbled upon your site after doing some Xen research. Would be interested to see these templates you’re working on.